League One: Out-of-action Blues’ survival gap increases


(left to right) Fleetwood goalscorer Brendan Wiredu, Charlton marksman Freddie Ladapo and Cheltenham's two-goal Elliot Bonds <i>(Image: PA)</i>

(left to right) Fleetwood goalscorer Brendan Wiredu, Charlton marksman Freddie Ladapo and Cheltenham’s two-goal Elliot Bonds (Image: PA)

Out-of-action Carlisle United’s gap to survival increased to 12 points on Tuesday night.

While the Blues were sidelined by their postponement at Burton Albion – with fourth-bottom Port Vale’s home game against Peterborough United also off – ten games in the division went ahead.

And Charlton Athletic’s 1-1 draw with Lincoln City increased bottom side United’s already large gap to the safety line.

Freddie Ladapo earned a point for the Addicks at home to Lincoln City after Reeco Hackett-Fairchild’s Imps opener.

Nathan Jones’ Charlton remain fifth-bottom, now on 32 points with United on 20.

The Cumbrians are also six points adrift at the foot of the table after second-bottom Fleetwood Town earned a late point.

Brendan Wiredu’s injury-time goal secured a 1-1 draw against Reading for Charlie Adam’s strugglers, after Lewis Wing’s opener.

Also in the relegation battle, third-bottom Cheltenham Town are now nine points north of Carlisle after claiming an impressive 2-0 win over Blackpool, Elliot Bonds’ brace sealing the points for Darrell Clarke’s men.

Shrewsbury Town, in 19th, are 15 points above United after they were pegged back late on by Barnsley, for whom Herbie Kane scored from the penalty spot to earn a 1-1 draw following Nicky Cadden’s early own-goal.

Cambridge United, Carlisle’s next opponents, took the lead at Portsmouth through Danny Andrew but went down 3-1 at the leaders, for whom Owen Moxon was a first-half sub in place of injured Tom Lowery. Kusini Yengi (penalty), Myles Peart-Harris and Abu Kamara did the damage for the hosts.

Elsewhere in the division, ex-Blues man Gethin Jones was on target as Bolton Wanderers saw off Wycombe Wanderers 2-1, Jon-Dadi Bodvarsson getting the hosts’ other goal as Luke Leahy hit a penalty consolation.

Bolton remain third with second-placed Derby County picking up a 3-0 win at Exeter City courtesy of goals from Max Bird, Nathaniel Mendez-Laing and Tom Barkhuizen.

Leyton Orient won a 4-3 thriller against Northampton Town thanks to Ruel Sotiriou‘s added-time goal.

Ollie O’Neill, Shaq Forde and Sotiriou had earlier netted for the hosts with Marc Leonard, Kieron Bowie and Tyreece Simpson scoring for the Cobblers.

Stevenage saw a two-goal lead overhauled by Bristol Rovers, who claimed a 3-2 win over Steve Evans’ side. Kane Hemmings and Jake Forster-Caskey put the hosts in control before the Pirates responded through Luke Thomas, Chris Martin and Antony Evans.

Promotion-chasing Oxford United got the better of Wigan Athletic with a 4-2 win, with Josh Murphy, Cameron Brannagan, Ruben Rodrigues and Tyler Goodrham on target, and Jordan Jones and Thelo Aasgaard replying for the Latics.

In League Two, meanwhile, ex-Blues man Andy Cook was among the goals for Bradford City, as was Calum Kavanagh – son of former United boss and current agent of Owen Moxon, Graham Kavanagh – in a 4-0 win over MK Dons.

Ex-Blues favourite Richard Keogh enjoyed a winning return to Cumbria as bottom side Forest Green Rovers won 2-1 at Barrow.

Harry McKirdy hit his first goal back in Swindon Town colours to earn a late 2-2 draw at Gillingham.

In the National League, Joe Garner scored the winner for Oldham Athletic, his first goal for the club in the 81st minute completing a 2-1 comeback win over Boreham Wood for whom Mo Sagaf was on target.

Chris Beech‘s revival job at AFC Fylde continued with a 5-0 win at Aldershot Town – a fourth win in a row and a sixth in eight games.

Tobi Sho-Silva hit a consolation goal for Maidenhead United in their 2-1 loss at FC Halifax Town.

Down Under, meanwhile, there was a day to remember for Ryan Edmondson with Central Coast Mariners.

The former Blues striker hit his first career hat-trick for the Australian side as they defeated Cambodian side Phnom Penh Crown 4-0 in the AFC Cup zonal semi-final.

Edmondson came off the bench on the hour mark and hit three goals in the last 18 minutes.

Source link


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here